As the built environment plays a significant role in global carbon emissions, standards like PAS 2080 are increasingly important. This British standard is specifically designed for infrastructure projects, providing a framework for effective carbon management.
This guide explores the intricacies of PAS 2080 and how McGrady Clarke can assist organisations in achieving this standard.
Understanding ‘PAS 2080’
PAS 2080:2016, “Carbon management in Infrastructure,” is a standard developed by the British Standards Institution. It provides a common language and approach for all stakeholders involved in infrastructure projects to manage and reduce carbon emissions. It applies to all stages of the infrastructure life cycle, from strategic definition and planning to construction, operation, and eventual decommissioning or repurposing.
Why Adopt PAS 2080
- Carbon Reduction: Infrastructure projects can significantly reduce their carbon emissions, contributing to global efforts to mitigate climate change.
- Cost Savings: Reduced carbon emissions often correlate with improved operational efficiency and cost savings, particularly in terms of materials and energy use.
- Competitive Advantage: Demonstrating a commitment to carbon management can provide a competitive edge, especially as clients and regulators increasingly prioritise sustainability.
Steps to Achieve PAS 2080
Implementing involves several key steps:
- Carbon Baseline: Establish a baseline by quantifying current carbon emissions associated with the infrastructure project.
- Carbon Management Strategy: Develop a comprehensive carbon management strategy that includes clear reduction targets
- Implementation and Monitoring: Implement the strategy, monitor progress regularly, and adjust as necessary to meet your targets.
- Verification and Validation: Achievements in carbon management should be verified by a third party to ensure transparency and credibility.
How We Can Help
Adopting can be a complex process, but businesses don’t have to navigate it alone. McGrady Clarke’s team of energy and sustainability experts is well-versed in the requirements of PAS 2080. We assist organisations in quantifying their carbon emissions, developing and implementing robust carbon management strategies, and facilitating third-party verification.
With McGrady Clarke, businesses can confidently navigate the path to PAS 2080, driving significant carbon reductions and operational efficiencies within their infrastructure projects. Contact our experts today to learn how we can support your organisation.