As businesses worldwide commit to sustainability, standards like PAS 2060 have gained importance. Published by the British Standards Institution, PAS 2060 is a specification for demonstrating carbon neutrality. It provides a robust framework for businesses to quantify, reduce, and offset their carbon emissions.
In this guide, we’ll explore PAS 2060 in detail and understand how McGrady Clarke can guide organisations in achieving and maintaining this standard.
Understanding ‘PAS 2060’
PAS 2060:2014 outlines the requirements businesses need to meet to achieve and demonstrate carbon neutrality as defined by the European Parliament. It applies to activities, products, services, buildings, projects, and even whole companies. The process of meeting PAS 2060 involves quantifying greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, setting a carbon neutrality goal, reducing emissions, and offsetting any remaining emissions.
Why Adopt PAS 2060
- Climate Action: Provides businesses a way to contribute meaningfully to global climate action by achieving carbon neutrality.
- Trust and Transparency: Businesses can enhance their reputation and build trust with stakeholders, demonstrating their commitment to sustainability in a transparent, verifiable way.
- Business Resilience: Helps businesses future-proof their operations by mitigating carbon-related risks and aligning with increasing regulatory requirements related to carbon emissions.
Steps to Achieve PAS 2060
Achieving PAS 2060 involves a series of steps:
- Carbon Footprint Measurement: The first step involves measuring the carbon footprint of the activity, product, service, or organisation for which carbon neutrality is sought.
- Carbon Management Plan: Develop a robust plan to reduce GHG emissions as much as possible.
- Offset Remaining Emissions: Offset any remaining emissions through credible and verified carbon offset projects.
- Validation and Verification: The claim of carbon neutrality should be validated by a third party and verified annually.
How We Can Help
Navigating the path to PAS 2060 can be challenging, but McGrady Clarke can help simplify this journey. Our team of experts assists businesses in accurately measuring their carbon footprints, creating effective carbon management plans, identifying suitable offset projects, and navigating the validation process.
With McGrady Clarke, businesses can confidently pursue and ensure their journey towards carbon neutrality is strategic, effective, and in line with global best practices. Contact our experts today to learn how we can support your organisation.